Gender & Sexuality Action Committee
Gender and Sexuality
The Gender and Sexuality Committee is dedicated to combating sexism and heterosexism, and to assuring equal access to medical care and equality within medical education. We work to establish AMSA as a leader on issues affecting the health of women, intersex people and the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) communities and support initiatives to improve policy at the institutional, local, state, and federal levels. We advocate for patients through curricular improvement, increased physician education, research, and health-related resources. We support physicians-in-training by fostering a safe and supportive environment, providing leadership development opportunities, and advocating for their rights.
Read about AMSA’s Policies on Gender and Sexuality here.
Visit our Gender and Sexuality Student Resources for resources contributed by AMSA student leaders including Projects in a Box, resources for medical education curriculum reform on Women’s and LGBTQ+ health, Sexual Health White Coat cards, webinars, and more!
NEW! from the AMSA Gender & Sexuality Action Committee & Team
- LGBTQ Health 101 Slides – downloadable PDF
- LGBTQ Health 101 Slides – Google Slides version
- LGBTQ Health 101 Leader’s Guide
LGBTQ Premedical & Medical Student Facebook Group
A place for peers to collaborate and have a safe space to talk about certain issues they may have or questions about respective institutions, etc.
Visit our Gender and Sexuality Policy Page for links to organizations carrying out relevant policy work.
Pages of Interest That Serve as Additional Resources
- Trans Bodies, Trans Selves is a resource guide for the transgender population which covers health, legal issues, cultural and social questions, history, theory and more.
- LGBT Civil Liberties in America: A Fight for Freedom to Be Humanis a timeline from Adam & Eve provides an informative look at the obstacles LGBT individuals have faced to bring the movement to where it stands today.
|View the current Chair and Coordinators on AMSA’s National Leadership page.|