Chartering your AMSA chapter is important as it allows your chapter, and your individual chapter members, official recognition by AMSA National, providing access to all the organization’s offerings, leadership trainings, member discount benefits and more. The chartering process at AMSA is really very simple, so there’s no reason not to. Just follow these 3 easy steps. You can also download this Charter a Chapter Powerpoint to share with students you may be working with get up and running.
1. Get at least 5 active AMSA members
- This is important, so make sure your members have officially joined before your petition is reviewed.
2. Submit an application and a copy of your Constitution & Bylaws.
- The Chapter Charter Application can be found at the bottom of this page. Fill out the application and upload a copy of your Constitution & Bylaws to the application before submitting.
- For your convenience, we have provided a copy of sample Constitution & Bylaws for quick and easy modification:
3. Pass a chartering resolution at the National Convention.
- We take it from here! We will transform your application into a resolution, which will then be reviewed in the House of Delegates at AMSA’s Convention & Exposition. In the meantime, welcome to the AMSA family!
- PLEASE NOTE: Applications have closed for consideration in the 2017 House of Delegates. Any applications submitted after December 26, 2016, will be considered in the 2018 House of Delegates.
What Happens Next?
Although your chapter is technically in a pending status until reviewed at Convention, get started now! Feel free to begin chapter activities and recruitment – in fact, we highly encourage it. Don’t wait until after Convention when the school year is almost over.
After submitting the required information to the national AMSA office, your application will be reviewed. If your application is incomplete, you will be notified via email. If it is complete, your request is magically transformed into a resolution! These resolutions are edited by a reference committee and then presented to the House of Delegates at the National Convention in February. The body of the House votes and presto! your school is chartered.
So, you’re interested in starting a local AMSA chapter at your school? True, you won’t be official until February when your petition is reviewed, but you can begin your chapter recruitment and activities now. In fact, we highly encourage it. Take a look at all our online resources for running a successful chapter and feel free to contact us for support, materials, or advice. We’re here for you!