Environmental Health Action Committee
The mission of the Environmental Health Action Committee is to establish, promote, and advance the voice and advocacy efforts of medical students fighting for solutions to climate change and the wide variety of environmental and health issues associated with climate change.
Our goals include:
- Expanding medical education to include the role of climate change in public health
- Advocating for legislation that promotes federal support to fight against climate change and to develop federal, state and local programs that promote environmental health and sustainability.
- Promoting individual and community based changes in daily life that improves environmental and personal health.
- Educating the public on the relation between environmental climate change and personal health by providing access to educational material and actionable activities.
Overall, as AMSA’s newest action committee, we will strive to expand our platform across the nation while also cultivating resources to promote our goals.
As we recognize the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, we want to call attention to the stark but unsurprising health disparities seen as a result of climate change. These disparities parallel those seen in the COVID-19 pandemic. This is no coincidence.
The actions we take now to protect our communities will ensure the survival and health for tomorrow.
We have already seen the ramifications of denying the existence of a public health emergency in this COVID-19 pandemic. Our elected officials cannot make this same mistake with global climate change. It is up to us, as the next generation of physicians, to ensure that we have a future with healthier and cleaner environments.
TAKE ACTION RESOURCES:
- Join AMSA’s Environmental Health Action Committee and take action to address climate change. Get connected and sign up for leadership opportunities.
- Tune-in for AMSA’s COVID-19 Video Series on Earth Day – 7:00pmE, Wednesday, April 22.
Bring your ideas, comments, and questions to this interactive Facebook Live event offering an engaging discussion on COVID-19 and climate change with Mona Sarfaty, MD, MPH, FAAFP, Director of the Medical Society Consortium on Climate and Health and Director of the Program for Climate and Health, Center for Climate Change Communication.
Link to AMSA COVID-19 Medical Student Resources & Sign-up for AMSA COVID-19 ongoing action updates
- Highlight environmental health as a public health issue with your AMSA Chapter.
Use the AMSA Environmental Health Action Committee Earth Day 2020 Action Toolkit to host virtual events, action days and seminars with your classmates.
- Make your pledge to support climate solutions & health equity!
Sign-on to this letter with AMSA and future physicians around the country. This is no time for denial–we must take action!