UPROOT POVERTY! Economic disparities lie at the root of health problems the world over. The staggering poverty that sabotages the households of billions of our fellow humans must be a focus of our advocacy. Including issues like debt relief in our efforts will help to provide our work some measure of sustainability.
The Global HEALTH Act of 2010
- Representative Barbara Lee (CA-9th) introduced the Global HEALTH Act to improve health systems and global health workforce on March 23.
Background on the Global HEALTH Act
Global HEALTH Act Call-In Action
The President’s Global Health Initiative
- AMSA Global Health Ethics Student Curriculum
- Where in the World? (Training Opportunities)
- Human Health and Global Environmental Change Class
The Center for Health and the Global Environment at Harvard Medical has an educational package focused on specific aspects of environmental change that is free online for medical students. This class provides students with an understanding of the fundamental dependency of human health on the health of the global environment and includes lectures by world experts and provides learning modules that can be integrated into pre-existing medical school curricula.
- A Student’s Guide to International Health – First-hand information about international experiences and how to set up an elective-from the student perspective.
- Creative Funding for International Electives – An introduction to traditional and non-traditional fundraising sources for medical students planning international electives. Prepared by the International Health Medical Education Consortium (IHMEC) and AMSA.
- Bringing International Health Home – Apply international health principles to underserved communities at home
- Medical Student Activism: A Primer on Domestic and International Tobacco Control – An overview of the domestic and international harms resulting from tobacco use and its promotion by multinational corporations, a timeline of key events and an introduction to available resources.
- The Global Opportunities Tool (GO Tool) – Discover unique educational and training experiences in reproductive health settings around the world. Any healthcare student interested in broadening their reproductive health training may search the GO Tool for clinical and non-clinical opportunities using an interactive map. Users can share sites via e-mail, write an online review of their experience, and access supplementary travel and funding resources. Organizations can recruit students by listing programs online.
PRESENTATIONS & PROJECT GUIDES
- Global Health Disparities Presentation & Accompanying GHAC Quiz
- Medical Students for Earth: Environmental Health Activism for Medical Students – Environmental health projects for groups or individuals. Includes resources and contact organizations. 1997
- Premed Global Health Leadership Institute Presentations (2008)
Access to Essential Medicines PowerPoint
Global Gag Rule PowerPoint
Maternal Mortality & Human Rights PowerPoint
Medical Tourism PowerPoint