Upon graduating high school, many immigrant youth in the United States are faced with significant barriers to attending college. Cost is a major factor, especially for undocumented immigrant students who are not able to access financial aid, loans or in-state tuition.
Lack of access to higher education is associated with severe health inequity. Youth who don’t attend college die 7 years sooner than their college-educated peers. In addition, workforce diversity is diminished as aspiring doctors and nurses are unable to pursue their studies.
The Education Equity Initiative of the AMSA REACH Committee seeks to:
- Educate medical students about immigrants’ differential access to higher education.
- Mobilize AMSA members to take action to support Education Equity efforts in their states and regions.
- Support undocumented medical and pre-medical students to achieve their dreams of becoming physicians.
Educate Yourself and Others
- Fact sheet on the links between education and health outcomes
- Read the true story of Marina, an undocumented student who dreams of going to medical school.
- Watch a quick video on the life of Dr. Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa, a successful Johns Hopkins neurosurgeon who started out as an undocumented student.
- Learn about the current challenges undocumented pre-med students face in their pursuit of medical education, as well as the impact of new government programs such as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) on enhancing access.
Resources for Undocumented Students Pursuing Health Careers
- Pre-Health Dreamers – Join the network! Website includes guide to medical school admissions and other useful resources
- Harvard Act on a Dream guide for undocumented pre-medical students, including list of medical schools that accept international students
- Support Comprehensive Immigration Reform, which would provide a path to citizenship and enhance educational opportunities for undocumented and DREAM Act-eligible youth.
- Advocate for enhanced access for undocumented students at your school. Find out if your school accepts undocumented students.
- National Immigration Law Center (NILC)
- National Korean American Service and Education Consortium (NAKASEC)
- United We Dream
- National Immigrant Youth Alliance
- Immigration Policy Center
- Dream Activist
- Fair Immigration Reform Movement
- California – Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles
Educators for Fair Consideration (E4FC)
San Francisco Immigrant and Legal Education Network
- Illinois – Immigrant Youth Justice League
Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
- Maryland – Casa de Maryland
- Massachusetts – Student Immigrant Movement
- Michigan – One Michigan
- New York – New York Youth Leadership Council
- Tennessee – Tennessee Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition
- Texas – Texas Dream Alliance
- Health Equity and Social Justice Initiative
A program of the National Association of County and City Health Officials
- National Health Equity Coalition
National policy and advocacy network committed to elimination of racial & ethnic health disparities and achievement of health equity
- Institute of Medicine
Select populations and Health disparities homepage, IOM has produced many reports on health disparities.
- National Partnership for Action to end Health Disparities
The office of Minority Health program to address health disparities
- Office of Minority Health and Health Disparities
Center for Disease Control’s office of minority health & health disparities
- Academy for Health Equity
- Unnatural Causes
7-part PBS documentary addressing the social & economic determinants of health
- Health Equity Reading List