Community & Public Health Action Committee
Collaborative Activism Towards the Promotion of Health!
Education, Policy, Action
Join us in improving public health education at your school and advancing the health of your community through policy action. The Community and Public Health Action Committee is dedicated to:
- Engaging future physicians to educate their schools and communities about important public health issues;
- Empowering future physicians with knowledge about social determinants of health and environmental factors;
- Encouraging chapters to develop and execute local programming to promote primary care.
Stay up to date with the latest in Community and Public Health Committee actions and events: Sign up for our committee list serv!
National Primary Care Week: October 7-11, 2019
National Primary Care Week (NPCW) is an annual event highlighting the importance of primary care. It unites health care professionals allowing for education and open discussion regarding generalist and interdisciplinary health care, particularly its impact on providing access to underserved populations.
Public Health Scholars Program
The Public Health Scholars Program teaches AMSA members the skills required to effectively work within their local communities, as well as develop, implement, and evaluate their own local project. Following an in-person training session featuring community engagement for social justice, students will start planning and developing their own year-long project focusing on community engagement and emphasizes collaboration amongst their medical school student body, academic institution, or other local community organizations.
- MD/MPH Joint Degree Program Resource Guide: This compilation of experiences and opinions There’s no single way to do your MPH. This compilation of experiences and opinions won’t tell you the perfect path to take; however, it may raise questions you haven’t asked yourself yet and expose you to different paths you didn’t know existed.
- Preventive Medicine & its Residency Programs FAQs: Learn more about preventative medicine through these frequently–and not-so-frequently–asked questions and answers.
- Healthy People 2020: Health People shares a vision for a society in which all people live long, health lives. Healthy People has established benchmarks and monitored progress over time to encourage collaboration across communities, empower individuals to make informed health decisions, and measure the impact of prevention activities.
- National Health Service Corps. Have you considered working in an underserved area? The National Health Service Corps provides medical students specializing in primary care with scholarships and loan repayment opportunities.
- Assisted Living Guide: This guide provides information on proper care options for individuals living with disabilities.