Take a stand for health!
Advocacy is at the core of AMSA’s mission. We have a proud history of activism and organizing that reaches back to our creation as an organization. We believe that physicians can and should be drivers of social change and here you’ll find the opportunities and resources to develop the leadership and advocacy skills needed to get there.
- AMSA Advocacy–Take Action!–click here to see our active campaigns and find out how you can get involved!
- What’s Happening at AMSA Chapters–Click here to see some of the great actions AMSA chapters are involved in across the country!
- AMSA’s Aspirations – AMSA is dedicated to allocating time, energy and resources toward focusing the activism of its membership within these areas.
- AMSA’s Action Committee list servs – Stay up to date with the latest events, actions, and news from AMSA’s action committees!
- AMSA’s Lobby Day – Check out the latest information for AMSA’s Lobby Day March 31, 2016–Advocating for Access to Healthcare for Women–In the US and Around the World!
AMSA Urges SD Governor to Veto HB1008
AMSA has submitted a letter to Governor Dennis Daugaard of South Dakota urging the him to act to protect the students of South Dakota from unnecessary risks and harm to their health and well-being by vetoing House Bill 1008. The bill is an unnecessarily discriminatory act that will directly threaten the health and safety of transgender youth in South Dakota and will set a dangerous precedent for transgender youth in other states.
AMSA Joins the call to #EndTheBan on Gun Violence Research
On December 2, AMSA joined Doctors for America as they delivered to Capitol Hill over 2,000 signatures from physicians in all 50 states plus D.C. urging Congress to lift the ban on CDC/NIH gun violence research. Gun violence is a public health crisis in America, and our leaders in Congress should not be blocking vital research that can save lives.
AMSA Joins Press Conference Opposing TPP 11/13/2015
Physicians and physicians-in-training from the American Medical Student Association (AMSA) will join activists from Health Global Access Project and TradeJustice New York Metro on Friday, November 13 in front of Pfizer’s world headquarters for a press conference focused on threats to access to health within the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).
AMSA Opposes Trans-Pacific Partnership Deal
On October 5th the final round of negotiations around the Trans-Pacific Partnership were concluded in Atlanta, GA. With this, 12 countries making up 40% of the world’s GDP have agreed to endanger the health of patients around the globe by limiting access to medicines and increasing the reach of corporations into the public sphere. This event marks the beginning of the final step toward fast-track adoption of the agreement. As this bad deal now heads to Congress, we must act to fully expose the details of this trade agreement to the American public, strengthen the already vigorous grassroots opposition, and stop it.