An Online Learning Community
October 2015 – April 2016
Open to premedical & medical students.
Scholars Program Overview and Expectations
Scholars programs will run from October 2015 – April 2016. Each scholars program will create its own schedule and timeline. Most programs will require 6 hours a month to include online bi-weekly discussions/lectures and mandatory readings. In addition, you may be required to complete a final group project, which would require approximately 3-4 hours of work.
- In order for a participant to effectively learn and incorporate the skills presented in this program, it is crucial that each participant is present for all aspects of the program. If a scholar cannot attend one of the classes, the scholar is expected to inform the program coordinators of the expected absence.
- Scholars are asked to remain open-minded and respectful of other views. Scholars are asked to actively participate in all discussions.
- Scholars are expected to complete all homework assignments before class begins. Homework may include articles, media clips, short reflective pieces, etc.
- Scholars are expected to complete a final project related to their program topic.
- Scholars are highly encouraged to attend the AMSA National Convention in the Spring as they will be recognized for their accomplishments at the AMSA Annual Poster Session.
Who Should Register
AMSA Academy Scholars are a versatile group of passionate individuals with different interests, experiences, and levels of knowledge of their program topic.
- Availability: We are especially interested in students who are both motivated to fully participate in this rigorous academic program and who have availability in their schedule to do so. We believe that participants will benefit most from this intensive approach, but we also recognize that students have other important and competing academic and extracurricular interests and activities.
- Team Player: A desire to engage with and contribute to the group is essential. The program will foster an online community for students to work together and with experts in order to gain new perspectives, knowledge, and clinical skills.
- Innovation in Education: Students who have the curiosity to ask why the status quo exists and the creativity to challenge it in productive ways. Students who want to share their new-found knowledge with their colleagues.
- We do NOT ask for experience in the program topic. It’s great if you have it, great if you don’t. We are more interested in your enthusiasm, willingness to learn, and time commitment.
- Year-long distance learning courses structured around readings, response papers and conference call discussions led by field experts
- Themes for the course change annually
- Participants are partnered with mentors to facilitate continued learning
- Open to medical and premedical students
- All programs run from the Fall through the Spring.
|Cultural Sensitivity Scholars Program||September 14, 2015|
|Global Health Scholars Program||September 14, 2015|
|Health Equity Scholars Program||September 14, 2015|
|Integrative Medicine Scholars Program||September 14, 2015|
|Medical Humanities Scholars Program||September 14, 2015|
|Patient Safety Scholars Program||September 14, 2015|
|Public Health Scholars Program||September 14, 2015|
|Premedical Scholars Program||September 14, 2015|
|Health Care For All Scholars Program||September 14, 2015|
|AIDS Advocacy Network Scholars Program||September 14, 2015|
|Just Medicine Scholars Program||September 14, 2015|
|AMSA Student Member||$40|
* Non-member fee includes AMSA membership, if applicable
AMSA programs/events have a no refund policy. If you would like to transfer your registration to another person to attend this event, please email email@example.com. Registrations are not transferable to another event.
Each individual attending and/or participating in this program/event assumes all risks associated with his/her attendance and participation in all on- and off -site activities that occur during this time. By registering you agree to indemnify and hold harmless AMSA, and its governing bodies, officers and employees from all loss, damage or liability arising out of or related to your attendance and/or participation at this program/event.
AMSA has official photographers/videographers for their programs/events. Photo/video/audio taken may be used in future marketing, publicity, promotions, advertising and training activities for AMSA. By registering for this event, you agree to allow AMSA to use the photographs/video/audio – which may include you – in all media formats world wide.
By registering for this program/event, you acknowledge that your email address may be included on attendee lists made available to AMSA’s exhibitors and sponsors for this event. You will only receive email regarding this event and only during the time-frame leading up to and immediately after the event.
Alison Case, MD, Education and Advocacy Fellow, AMSA