Chartering your AMSA chapter is important as it allows your chapter, and your individual chapter members, official recognition by AMSA National, providing access to all the organization’s offerings, leadership trainings, member discount benefits and more. The chartering process at AMSA is really very simple, so there’s no reason not to. Just follow these 3 easy steps. You can also download this Charter a Chapter Powerpoint to share with students you may be working with get up and running.
1. Get at least 5 active AMSA members
- This is important, so make sure your members have officially joined before your petition is reviewed.
2. Submit an application and a copy of your Constitution & Bylaws.
- The Chapter Charter Application can be found at the bottom of this page. Fill out the application and upload a copy of your Constitution & Bylaws to the application before submitting.
- For your convenience, we have provided a copy of sample Constitution & Bylaws for quick and easy modification:
3. Pass a chartering resolution.
- We take it from here! We will transform your application into a resolution, which will then be reviewed by the Board of Trustees. In the meantime, welcome to the AMSA family!
What Happens Next?
Although your chapter is technically in a pending status until reviewed by the Board, get started now! Feel free to begin chapter activities and recruitment – in fact, we highly encourage it.
After submitting the required information to the national AMSA office, your application will be reviewed. If your application is incomplete, you will be notified via email. If it is complete, your request is magically transformed into a resolution! These resolutions are edited by AMSA’s Vice President for Internal Affairs and Secretary and then presented to the Board of Trustees. The Board votes and presto! your AMSA chapter is chartered.
So, you’re interested in starting a local AMSA chapter at your school? True, you won’t be official until the Board reviews your petition, but you can begin your chapter recruitment and activities now. In fact, we highly encourage it. Take a look at all our online resources for running a successful chapter and feel free to contact us for support, materials, or advice. We’re here for you!