Collaborative Activism Towards the Promotion of
Education, Policy, Action
Join us in improving public health education at your school and advancing the health of your community through policy action. The Community and Public Health Action Committee is dedicated to:
- Engaging premedical and medical students to educate their schools and communities about important public health issues.
- Empowering future physicians with knowledge about social determinants of health and environmental factors.
- Encouraging chapters to develop and execute local programming to promote primary care.
- National Primary Care Week
National Primary Care Week (NPCW) is an annual event to highlight the importance of primary care and bring health care professionals together to discuss and learn about generalist and interdisciplinary health care, particularly its impact on and importance to underserved populations.
- Food Day
The purpose of Food Day is to reduce diet-related disease by promoting healthy foods, support sustainable farms and cut subsidies to big agribusiness, expand access to food and alleviate hunger, protect the environment and animals by reforming factory farms, and promote health by curbing junk-food marketing to kids. AMSA’s goals are also to education and empowerment students to address these issues in their local communities. See how you can engage your local community.
- Public Health Scholars Program
The Public Health Scholars Program teaches AMSA members how to effectively work with their local community, as well as develop, implement and evaluate a local project. The program includes an in-person training session in community engagement for social justice, as well as program planning and evaluation. Students then start a year-long community engagement project in their local area, which could include their medical school class, academic institution, local community or even an issue-based national community.
Stay up to date with the latest in Community and Public Health Committee actions and events–sign up for our committee list serv!
Visit AMSA’s Committee List Serv Page to sign up!
- Public Health Education: Electives, internships, fellowships and other experiences for medical and premedical students in the public health field
- MD/MPH Joint Degree Program Resource Guide
- Preventive Medicine & its Residency Programs FAQs
- Preventive Medicine Diversity Video: Preventive Medicine physicians not only are interesting individuals with really diverse interests but also work in diverse areas such as: public health, administration, policy, start-ups and so much more.
- Healthy People 2020
- Physicians for Social Responsibility on Climate Change and Health
Public Health Coordinator
Environmental Health Coordinator
Primary Care Coordinator