Become an AMSA member to take part in this unique career advancement opportunity. Join Us Now!
The Education & Advocacy Fellow (EAF) is a unique position for a physician-in-training student to spend a year augmenting their formal medical training with the opportunity to delve deeply into critical issues affecting access to affordable, quality healthcare, global health equity, diversity in the healthcare workforce, and medical professionalism. The EAF serves multiple roles at the American Medical Student Association while working closely with staff and national leaders to enhance educational programming and advocacy initiatives throughout the organization.
Candidates are not expected to have significant experience in areas such as teaching, curriculum design or grassroots organizing, but must be enthusiastic and motivated to learn in order to become a leader in these areas over the course of their fellowship.
In terms of the experiential education offered, the EAF will benefit from providing leadership and contributing to the strategic direction on a number of areas within the organization. The objectives of the fellowship include learning and refining the fellow’s skills in grassroots organizing, leadership development, strategic planning, and advocacy.
As the result of a partnership with Kaiser Permanente, AMSA is pleased to incorporate a 3-4 week community-focused rotation for the EAF in Northern California.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Building a visible presence in AMSA’s activities, including chapter visits, regional conferences, AMSA’s annual convention, new organizing activities, and advocacy events and campaigns.
- Focusing on two or more major projects to engage students and strengthen advocacy initiatives and programming. These projects will support the strategic priorities of AMSA, increase AMSA’s visibility to physicians-in-training, and contribute to membership recruitment success.
- Creating monthly newsletter for distribution to AMSA membership alerting students of education and advocacy opportunities and activities.
- Assisting with grant proposals as needed.
- Providing assistance and guidance to AMSA’s various campaigns and committees establishing and developing ties with medical education and advocacy organizations across the U.S. and internationally. Examples include: the AAMC, CIR, NPA, PNHP, AACOM, and other associations who are working on projects consistent with AMSA’s mission. The EAF’s projects, presentations and trainings will be developed collaboratively with AMSA’s leadership and staff.
- Working directly with the Executive Director and staff, to design a successful array of educational programming with the goal of developing knowledge and skills in areas that are not traditionally included in medical school curricula. Primary functions include delivering presentations when appropriate, managing the poster session at Annual Convention, and supporting advertising and marketing campaigns under direction of the Communications and Marketing staff.
- Assisting with the successful coordination and delivery of the Scholars and/or Leadership Program(s).
- Kaiser Permanente initiatives:
- The EAF will travel to Northern California for a one- to three-week focused rotation emphasizing community involvement.
- The EAF will participate in other Kaiser Permanente programs as they become available
Application deadline: August 18th, 2017
Duration: One year – from May 1st, 2018 to April 30th, 2019
Compensation: $50,000/ year
By applying for the position the applicant asserts their willingness to perform the duties above and any other duties assigned that may be required to further the success of AMSA throughout the year. Examples include: supporting the team in membership recruitment, outreach to chapters and members for various reasons, support in our communications efforts, and other requests made by the Executive Director or the President. The applicant also asserts that they are willing and capable of working in the United States, specifically in the state of Virginia, and understands that the ability to be in the AMSA office will be a requirement of the position.
Questions? Email email@example.com.