Your Guide to Grassroots Action
Here you will find comprehensive resources for organizing and executing a strategic campaign. These documents provide step-by-step guides to organizing around an issue, creating influential and effective lobbying materials, and getting the message out to those who will effect change. Find the tactics you will need to target the media, Congress, state legislators, or even fellow medical students.
Educating Your Members – Building Your Organization
- How to Host a Call-in At Your School
- AAN Advocacy Toolkit
- Midwest Academy Strategic Planning and Coalition Building
Introduction to the Midwest Academy strategy chart and the basics of coalition building.
- “Organizing 101” – Training Session Shared with us by the Committee of Interns and Residents (CIR). Can be modified depending on group size & time constraints.
- Identifying and Cultivating Leaders
- Marshall Ganz: Why Stories Matter – (Sojourner’s Magazine, Mar 2009)
- 10 General Strategies for Grassroots Organizing with Medical Students
- AMSA Project Planning Tool
- Introduction to Framing
Find out what framing is and how to frame universal health care.
- Maximizing Your Advocacy
- Presentation by Jay Bhatt, DO, MPH, MPA, FACP at AMSA Fall Conference–Chicago, 2015
Mobilization – Making Change Happen
Public Relations – Getting the Message Out
- Writing a Press Release
- Writing a Fact Sheet
- Writing a Letter to the Editor
- Op-Eds 101
- Press Releases and Interviews 101
An Activist’s Book List
- Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals (1971) by Saul D. Alinsky
- Roots for Radicals: Organizing for Power, Action, and Justice(2003) by Ed Chambers
- Why David Sometimes Wins: Leadership, Organization, and Strategy in the California Farm Worker Movement(2009) by Marshall Ganz
- You Can’t Be Neutral On A Moving Train: A Personal History of Our Times (1994) by Howard Zinn
- The Power of Relational Action (2009) by Ed Chambers
- Don’t Think of an Elephant!: Know Your Values and Frame the Debate–The Essential Guide for Progressives (2001) by George Lakoff
- Organizing for Social Change: Midwest Academy Manual for Activists. (2001) by Kim Bobo, Jackie Kendall, and Steve Max
- Stir It Up: Lessons in Community Organizing and Advocacy by Rinku Sen
- The Activist Cookbook: Creative Actions for a Fair Economy by Andrew Boyd