AMSA's Local Chapter Project Directory

PROJECT DESCRIPTION/CONTACT INFORMATION
Project title Scrub/Labcoat Sale
Project type(s) Fundraiser,School Service
Date completed 01/2010
Chapter University of Kansas SOM
Project Coordinator Ami Rughani
Summary of project 2010 would be the correct year there.

We started collected labcoats/scrubs from 2nd year students (and opened it up to anyone that would donate), the month of December...the way dissection labs work at our school is a little different...students start in January of 1st year and complete at the end of October of 2nd year (because we dissect along with systems we're learning about). It wasn't until toward the end of second semester that we realized that we could do a labcoat/scrub sale similar to what the University of N. Dakota does each year. The ideal plan was to amass all the scrubs/labcoats before winter break and to get all the loads washed/bleached/ironed/packed up, and then send out orders online to first years and distribute them first-come, first-served, the first week of school (when the first years had their first dissections). It turned out that we had about 10 items donated prior to break, but had left a box outside the 2nd years' lecture-hall, and in the 2-weeks of Winter-break, there were about 15-20 more items donated! We let the students know this on Monday Jan 3rd and quickly had lots of orders anyway...we decided to sell each "newly" donated item for $4 instead of the $5 we were selling for the pre-ordered items that had been washed/bleached/ironed etc...

All the items were sold within a few hours of them being listed...and we had them organized in a conference room at our med school and by the time lunch-time rolled around that day, M1s were flocking in to either create a 'new order' (order forms had been sent for these 'new' donations that morning!), or buy-on-the-spot.

The next day we also sold items...and it was first-come, first-served at this point, as it became too complicated to hold an item for someone who had ordered an item, when others were willing to purchase "on site."

Content area N/A
Number of participants 30
Participant hours involved 30 hour(s)
PROJECT PLANNING
Coordinator roles Getting the word out, getting a box at the site of collection (it was wrapped in Christmas paper and also had a sign delineating what was going on...
Coordinator hours 30 hour(s)
FUNDING & ADVERTISING
Total project cost $0.00
Project funding
Funding breakdown of sources and/or donations:
Project advertising emails; signs on the box, etc
PROJECT EVALUATION
Success rating
(1 = unsuccesful, 5 = very successful)
5
Lessons/suggestions We made some money...about $150 with minimal "cost" to us.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS
Comments It may have been ideal for us to leave the large box outside the second year's lecture hall the whole time in December when classes were in session, but (perhaps for fear of the items being stolen), we didn't do that, until right before break, only to com