Intro, Mission & Goals
Grassroots Organizing – Development & Theory
- Marshall Ganz: Why Stories Matter – (Sojourner’s Magazine, Mar 2009)
Marshall Ganz, who developed much of the strategy for the Obama Campaign of 2008, discusses in this article the importance of story-telling in organizing efforts.
- Luis Manriquez: A Reflection on Work with the Sound Alliance
Luis is a medical student at the Univ of Washington who discusses his organizing experience with the Sound Alliance.
- 10 General Strategies for Grassroots Organizing with Medical Students
Practical suggestions compiled by past AMSA Grassroots Team
- Community Development: Basic Pointers
Developed by 2010-12 Health Justice Fellow Sonia Lazreg to guide organizers through the process of building a network of allies within a community.
- “Organizing 101” – Training Session
Shared with us by the Committee of Interns and Residents (CIR). Can be modified depending on group size & time constraints.
- Reveille for Radicals (1946). 2nd edition 1969, Vintage Books
Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals(1971)
(1946). 2nd edition 1969, Vintage Books (1971) by Saul D. Alinsky
- Roots for Radicals: Organizing for Power, Action, and Justice(Continuum International Publishing Group, 2003) by Ed Chambers
- Why David Sometimes Wins: Leadership, Organization, and Strategy in the California Farm Worker Movement. Oxford University Press, 2009 by Marshall Ganz
- You Can’t Be Neutral On A Moving Train: A Personal History of Our Times (1994) by Howard Zinn
- Roots for Radicals: Organizing for Power, Action, and Justice.Continuum International Publishing Group, 2003 & The Power of Relational Action. ACTA Publications, 2009 by Ed Chambers
- Don’t Think of an Elephant!: Know Your Values and Frame the Debate–The Essential Guide for Progressives (2001). Chelsea Green Publishing Company, 2004 by George Lakoff
- Organizing for Social Change: Midwest Academy Manual for Activists. The Forum Press, 2001 by Kim Bobo, Jackie Kendall, Steve Max
- Stir It Up: Lessons in Community Organizing and Advocacy byRinku Sen
- The Activist Cookbook: Creative Actions for a Fair Economyby Andrew Boyd
- AMSA AIDS Advocacy Network
- Health Global Access Project (GAP)
- ACT UP (AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power) Philadelphia
Access to Essential Medicine
Your Guide to Grassroots Action
Find comprehensive resources for organizing and executing a strategic campaign with these step-by-step guides to organizing around an issue, creating influential and effective lobbying materials, and getting the message out to those who will effect change. Included are tactics you will need for targeting the media, Congress, state legislators or even fellow students.